[secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-hip-bone

Chris Lonvick <clonvick@cisco.com> Fri, 11 June 2010 02:22 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:22:37 -0700
From: Chris Lonvick <clonvick@cisco.com>
To: iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org, draft-ietf-hip-bone.all@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-hip-bone

Hi,

IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

I have not been keeping up with the discussions of this working group.  I
read through this document and skimmed through RFC-5201.  I remain
confused on a couple of topics.  If they are explained somewhere, please
just give me a general pointer and don't bother explaining to me (as I
will likely continue to not keep up with this WG. :-)

- Obviously a host can join two HIP instantitions.  What happens when the
overlay identifiers conflict?  Must the overlay identifiers be globally
unique or can they have local context?

- When a host joins a HIP instantiation, is this exclusive?  Can a host
that has joined a HIP instantiation continue to directly communicate with
IPv4 and IPv6 hosts or must it communicate through a gateway?  Here I'm
thinking of a device that fires up IPsec - in my experience the policy is
to encrypt all traffic to the gateway and then let the gateway forward
traffic.  Is this what is envisioned for a client joining a HIP
instatiation?

The only real security concern I have in the document is in section 6.1,
where you RECOMMEND 32 bits of randomness be used in the OVERLAY_ID
parameter.  I don't understand why this is recommended or what purpose it
may have.  What I'm saying is that even if you have 2 HIP BONE instances
throughout the Internet, there is a non-zero chance that the OVERLAY_ID
parameters will be identical unless people intervene and choose the
values.  The chances increase with more instances regardless of how many
bits of randomness you may recommend - reference the "birthday attack".
I'd suggest that you drop the recommendation for randomness and just
recommend that people attempt to prevent a collision via any means
possible.  Continuing to recommend some amount of randomness would give
people a false sense that a collision may not occur.

Some nits from the document:
In Section 2 two things:
CURRENT:
    Node ID:  A value that uniquely identifies a node in an overlay
       network.  The value is not usually human-friendly, but for example
       a hash of a public key.
PERHAPS SHOULD BE:
    Node ID:  A value that uniquely identifies a node in an overlay
       network.  The value is not usually human-friendly.  As an example
       it may be a hash of a public key.

CURRENT:
    Valid locator:  A Locator (as defined in [RFC5206]; usually an IP
       address or an address and a port number) that a host is known to
       be reachable at, for example, because there is an active HIP
       association with the host.
PERHAPS SHOULD BE:
    Valid locator:  A Locator (as defined in [RFC5206]; usually an IP
       address, or an address and a port number) that a host is known to
       be reachable at because there is an active HIP association with the
       host.

>From that, what is a "HIP association"?  Perhaps you mean to say that the
host is part of a HIP overlay network?  Just fyi, "HIP association" is
used elsewhere in the text and in RFC-5201.  If it's important then you
may want to define it here as well.

Regards,
Chris