Re: [secdir] [Anima] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-16

Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> Mon, 01 October 2018 19:37 UTC

Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 12:36:56 -0700
From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
Cc: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>, draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra.all@ietf.org, IETF Rinse Repeat <ietf@ietf.org>, anima@ietf.org, Security Directorate <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] [Anima] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-16

>> a stunning review as usual.  but i have two questions which you kind
>> of finessed.  they are simple binary, i.e. yes/no, questions that the
>> end user, to whom the IETF is ultimately responsible, really cares
>> about.
>
>> if the manufacturer's servers go down, either permanently or even for
>> a day, does the device i have purchased still work?  i.e. is it fail
>> soft? [0]
>
> First, BRSKI as used by ANIMA is specifically not targetted at Things.
> (We are developing profiles of BRSKI that are about Things, but I
> think that this internet-draft should not be be evaluated on that
> basis).
>
> It's targetted at routers and other devices found at ISPs or
> Enterprises.

i missed where i said light bulbs.  i do have some of those, but i run
routers, servers, etc.; and do not want $vendor to break my network for
*any* reason.

> Second, the only time the manufacturer's servers need to be alive is
> when device ownership is claimed.

i.e. when i sell the router to some other op.  that was my second
question.

> Once the device is claimed, it joins *YOUR* network, and trusts your
> infrastructure, not the manufacturer.  Whether or not the device will
> *operate* without the manufacturer's servers is really outside of
> BRSKI.

ahhh.  we just sell the guns, we do not say how they are used.

>> That answer seems to imply that if the MASA is down before I try to
>> transfer my device, and if the MASA is still down when the recipient
>> tries to get my device working, it won't work.
>
>> Which seems to mean that once a MASA goes down permanently, any new
>> can not get a device reliant on that MASA to work.
>
>> Seems a pretty severe limitation.
>
> You are answering a different question than Randy asked

no.  he is speaking to the second question i asked.  and his answer
deeply concerns me.

> This is a pretty important question and we have discussed it at
> length.  I remain concerned, but as far as I can see, we have this
> problem already.

if i understand correctly, it creates a new problem, needing the
manufacturer's consent for me to resell my light^Hrouter.

> It fundamentally depends upon a number of things which unfortunately, the
> manufacturer has ultimate decision making about.

see above about guns

randy