Re: [secdir] secdir review draft-iab-crypto-alg-agility-06 (almost done)

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@arm.com> Tue, 04 August 2015 07:11 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@arm.com>
To: Leif Johansson <leifj@sunet.se>, "draft-iab-crypto-alg-agility.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-iab-crypto-alg-agility.all@tools.ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 08:11:13 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review draft-iab-crypto-alg-agility-06 (almost done)

Hi Leif,

I was surprised to hear from you that you believe the document is almost done. I get a different impression when I read through it and I thought it might be useful to share my thoughts with Russ, you and the SecDir.

Early in the document the goal is stated as "These **guidelines are for use by IETF working groups and protocol Authors** for IETF protocols that make use of cryptographic algorithms."

My problem with this statement is that the document actually addresses three audiences (although never explicitly stated anywhere), namely
 * Protocol designers (in the IETF and elsewhere),
 * Implementers (of hardware and software), and
 * those who deploy products using these protocols

The guidance for protocol designers aims to make the standardization process more efficient by already addressing extensibility as part of the initial design rather than waiting till an algorithm fails. It turns out that this is largely done already today (since about 10 years) and actually not the real problem the Internet community is facing when it comes to the use of cryptographic algorithms. Many protocol designers luckily do not design their own protocols but re-use TLS/DTLS and hence they don't have to worry about these issues.

Instead, the problems are mostly with the last group, those who deploy. It is easy to publish a document that says "Don't use MD5, RC4, etc." but a completely separate story to change deployment -- particularly when considering the long tail. We have repeatedly seen that the big guys have to decide whether they want to cause problems to a certain (hopefully small) percentage of their customers. Smaller companies are not aware of the problems, not convinced that the issue is real, or in the worst case they are aware but have discontinued their work on the product. In many cases, problems with cryptographic algorithms are the last things on the list companies care about given that there are many other far more severe security issues lurking around the corner.

I believe that this document focuses on the wrong audience.

I have also have questions regarding the approach of documenting recommended algorithms. I have experienced the problem myself with the constantly changing landscape of algorithms. Is the approach of putting SHOULD+/SHOULD-/etc. labels into RFCs the best possible approach? I am wondering whether something better can be done instead that avoid having implementers and deployers to do a lot of research before they find out what the currently most relevant recommendation is.

In Section 3 it is not clear what the recommendations are:

  * Choosing Mandatory-to-Implement Algorithms

While we like to have mandatory-to-implement algorithms in the IETF this is rarely the problem in terms of interoperability (particularly when considering algorithm negotiation). We have also seen that different deployment environments favour different algorithms (or algorithm parameters). So, what is the recommendation? MTI per deployment environment?

Are there really so many interoperability problems caused by the lack of MTI algorithms in specifications? Often, having the same algorithm isn't sufficient since you will need to be interoperable at the level of parameters used by the algorithm, and at a higher layer with the authentication and key exchange algorithm, etc.

 * The subsequent sections about "Too Many Choices Can Be Harmful", "Picking One True Cipher Suite Can Be Harmful are", and "National Cipher Suites" essentially describe problems with deciding the right number of algorithms to be standardized. Clearly there is no right number. Since there are more and more  algorithms developed over time (since algorithms age and you also want to have backups) the number of algorithms increases always. So, what should a protocol author do? Often, authors shift the problem around by splitting the main protocol specification from an algorithm specification. Then, others can then add algorithms as needed. Should this be the recommendation instead?

The security consideration section points out the need for a software update mechanism (as a remark to the deployment/implementers community) by saying that "Mechanisms for timely update of devices are needed to deploy a replacement algorithm or suite.". While this is true that software update mechanisms are needed we are now much better off with software update mechanisms than ever before. While many of them are not standardized (such as package managers or firmware update mechanisms) the problem is again not with specifications but rather with policies used in deployments. To pick a random example take a look at Section 1.6 of this Android security publication: http://nemesys-project.eu/nemesys/files/document/resources/Android_security_pitfalls_lessons_learned_and_BYOD.pdf

In a nutshell I fear that protocol authors are not getting a lot of practical guidance from this document and the difficult problems are left as an exercise for the deployment community.

Ciao
Hannes