Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-simple-msrp-sessmatch

Ben Campbell <ben@estacado.net> Wed, 08 September 2010 21:36 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@estacado.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:36:48 -0500
To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
Cc: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, The IETF <ietf@ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-simple-msrp-sessmatch@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-simple-msrp-sessmatch@tools.ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-simple-msrp-sessmatch

I wanted to make a quick response to one part of this discussion--see below:

On Aug 31, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Christer Holmberg wrote:

>>> An MSRP URI in an SDP offer or answer for an MSRP session MUST include a
>>> session-id part, so I believe the comment is
>>> based on incorrect assumptions.
>>
>> This is not indicated in the URI matching section
>
> We will clarify that sessmatch conformant UAs do not use MSRP URI matching in
> order to perform MSRP session matching.

In fact, RFC4975 does require an MSRP URI in and SDP offer or answer to include a session ID part. Unfortunately, it does so rather obliquely.

Section 6 contains the following language:

> The MSRP URI authority field identifies a participant in a particular
>    MSRP session.  If the authority field contains a numeric IP address,
>    it MUST also contain a port.  The session-id part identifies a
>    particular session of the participant.  The absence of the session-id
>    part indicates a reference to an MSRP host device, but does not refer
>    to a particular session at that device.

Section 8.2, in the last paragraph, says the following about the rightmost URI placed in a path attribute in the SDP (Note that 4975 does not specify MSRP relay behavior, so only the rightmost URI is in scope)

> It MUST be assigned for this particular session, and MUST NOT duplicate
>    any URI in use for any other session in which the endpoint is
>    currently participating.  It SHOULD be hard to guess, and protected
>    from eavesdroppers.  This is discussed in more detail in
> Section 14.

This, taken together, create a requirement for a session-ID for MSRP URIs used to identify a session in the SDP. I agree this should have been more strongly worded. An errata entry is probably in order.

Thanks!

Ben.