Re: [secdir] Fwd: Secdir review of draft-ietf-bfd-intervals-03

Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de> Sun, 31 August 2014 18:44 UTC

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:44:09 -0700
From: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>
To: Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>, Nobo Akiya <nobo@cisco.com>, Gregory Mirsky <gregory.mirsky@ericsson.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-bfd-intervals.all@tools.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] Fwd: Secdir review of draft-ietf-bfd-intervals-03

Hello Simon,

thanks for the review!

Let me start with the simple part:

> 3) Pretty please expand the acronym BFD the first time it is is used.
> Section 1 "Introduction" starts with 'The standard [RFC5880]
> describes...' and I suggest 'The Bidirectional Forwarding Detection
> (BFD) standard [RFC5880] describes...' instead.
>	[...]

Good point. In fact a not-yet-published updated draft contains your first
example already; I will add your other suggestions as well.

> 1) Why is this document Informational?  Not being involved in this area
> at all, it seems to me that the negotiation flaw is serious enough to
> warrant 'Updates: 5880' to make sure implementers/deployers read this
> document.

This was discussed in the BFD workgroup and the consensus was the set of
"Common Intervals" should be more a guideline for developers and not a strict
requirement. I personally think the availability of the document to the
public, including customers, will create enough momentum for implementers to
read this.

Appendix B is on the border, IMHO. The underlying mechanism is still the same
Poll sequence as defined in RFC5880, we just clarify how to apply it in a
multi-step convergence. And yes, RFC5880 has a "gap" in assuming the
convergence takes only one poll sequence. Again the workgroup seems to be
fine to have this additional information informal.

> 2) The document refers to RFC 2119 keywords (which are meaningless for
> non-standards track documents)

you have a point but as we use this one SHOULD I thought it's good to have
this reference.

>                                but the only use of that (that I could
> find) is in the second paragraph of section 3 which says SHOULD about
> something that I interpret as being required elsewhere and merely
> repeated for illustration and background.  Section 1 reads 'This
> document proposes a set of interval values that should be supported by
> all implementations.' -- I suspect this ought to be SHOULD (or
> even MUST) instead of 'should'?

We moved away from MUST to SHOULD when we decided the draft should have an
informal status. I reduced it to the one SHOULD in section 3 as this is the
only section that spells out a technical requirement; the other sections
explain the problem and the solution idea, which is why I used normal English
"should", "may", "recommend" for these sections.

Kind of: getting the readers attention in section 3 as these paragraphs need
to be read more carefully.

Let me incorporate your proposed changes and I send you a diff to check I do
address your comments properly.

Again thanks for the review!

Best regards,
Nobo, Greg & Marc