Re: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost-05

Basil Dolmatov <dol@cryptocom.ru> Sat, 23 January 2010 18:33 UTC

Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:33:31 +0300
From: Basil Dolmatov <dol@cryptocom.ru>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>
Cc: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>, ogud@ogud.com, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost-05

Andrew Sullivan пишет:

>> BTW, we have had this discussion in SIDR, where the RPKI has a similar
>> global scope and where Vasily had made a similar request for recognition
>> of GOST algorithms. So far, that WG has said no, for the reasons I cited
>> in my comments and above. The current plan there is to go with the two
>> suite model I described above.
>>

> Ok.  Thanks for this; it's useful feedback.

Andrew, I, being the participant in the quoted process, want to share my
description of what had happened and I think that it will differ to some
extent.

I noted that RPKI and SIDR implementations having exactly no possibility
to support different protocols will definitely meet the problems, which
DNSSec is overcoming simply by its design.

Steve, in his presentation showed the technology which gives possibility
to given AS (or group of ASes) to build entirely independent system of
distribution of routing information from the outer world. That was
_the_other_way_ to handle possible protocol problems, just to present
mechanism, which allows to split whole system into several entirely
independent protocol domains.

Comparing to DNS the IDR ideology is entirely different: DNS is
wholistic and united service, but main IDR principle is the independence
of routing decisions for any given AS.

I also noted then that from my point of view the DNSSec protocol
approach seems much more productive for the development of the network
as a whole and maintaining its integrity, SIDR approach from that
perspective seems a restrictive one and leading to the dead end in the
near future.

I would be very cautious when considering the borrowing of the
technologies and approaches from SIDR to any other protocols and
services, these technologies though allowing to "overcome" possible
protocol problems in fact will lead to the network split.

dol@