Re: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-cdni-logging.15

Daryl Malas <D.Malas@cablelabs.com> Tue, 17 February 2015 15:34 UTC

From: Daryl Malas <D.Malas@cablelabs.com>
To: "Francois Le Faucheur (flefauch)" <flefauch@cisco.com>, "Klaas Wierenga (kwiereng)" <kwiereng@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:34:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.5.0.27]
Cc: "draft-ietf-cdni-logging.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-cdni-logging.all@tools.ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-cdni-logging.15

Question for clarity in-line.

On 2/16/15, 4:15 PM, "Francois Le Faucheur (flefauch)"
<flefauch@cisco.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thank you Klaas. We¹ll look into this shortly.
>
>Francois
>
>> On 13 Feb 2015, at 17:05, Klaas Wierenga (kwiereng)
>><kwiereng@cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
>>ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
>> These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the  security
>>area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these
>>comments just like any other last call comments.
>>
>> This document specifies the logging format and the exchange protocol
>>for logging information between upstream and downstream CDNs that are
>>interconnected using the CDN interconnection framework.
>>
>> The document is well written and easy to read. I have few issues with
>>the main text, but do have some concerns about the security and privacy
>>considerations. I therefore consider the document ³ready with issues²
>>
>> Detailed comments:
>>
>> * Introduction and Figure 1: What is not clear to me from the text is
>>whether there is any functional difference between an uCDN and an
>>dCDN,or that they just happen to be in a hierarchical relation to each
>>other.  I could also find no reference to that in RFC7336. The fact that
>>in Figure 1 dCDN-2 is not also labeled as uCDN-2 led me to believe that
>>there is a functional difference. However from the text it appears that
>>any two DCNs can be in an u-d relation to each other. Please clarify.

In Figure 1 of RFC 7336, you will notice the interfaces are indicated as
bi-directional.  I believe the spirit of this is to provide a hierarchal
perspective.  In any case, can you please clarify your ³security² related
concerns relative to this scenario?  So far, you have only indicated a
question of whether a downstream CDN can also be an upstream CDN.  What is
your related security question if the function changes relative to
exchanges via the logging interfaces?  If this is a terminology question,
I think it should have been addressed with regards to 7336.

To be clear, I¹m just asking for more clarity for the authors to properly
address this question.