Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-conex-mobile-05

Dirk Kutscher <Dirk.Kutscher@neclab.eu> Fri, 11 September 2015 09:49 UTC

From: Dirk Kutscher <Dirk.Kutscher@neclab.eu>
To: "Xialiang (Frank)" <frank.xialiang@huawei.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:48:49 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.2.102]
Cc: "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-conex-mobile.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-conex-mobile.all@ietf.org>, secdir <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-conex-mobile-05

Hi Frank,

In general, the ConEx-related risks regarding manipulating congestion notification/exposure can apply to mobile networks, too.

What could perhaps be said is that mobile networks (UMTS, LTE) employ a virtual-circuit-like bearer model for the access, i.e., users in a cell can generally not see other users¡¯ traffic ¨C so that would rule out some threats. Also, authentication is part of the bearer establishment, so the network generally knows the user and device identity.

Now, assuming that mobile networks can be subject to passive monitoring, one could claim that this would enable attackers to collect information about a user¡¯s congestion contribution (also over time), but that threat seems less critical (compared to exposing the payload itself).

Best regards,
Dirk