Re: [secdir] sector review of draft-ietf-pcp-server-selection-07

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Mon, 05 January 2015 07:34 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Chris Inacio <inacio@cert.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-pcp-server-selection.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-pcp-server-selection.all@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 07:34:47 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.1]
Subject: Re: [secdir] sector review of draft-ietf-pcp-server-selection-07

Dear Chris,

Thank you for the review.

Nonce validation checks are used when operating in the simple threat model as discussed in RFC6887. Adding a reference to section 18.1 of RFC6887 would be sufficient IMHO. PCP authentication will be needed if operating in the Advanced Threat Model.

OLD:
For efficiency, the PCP client SHOULD use the same Mapping Nonce for requests sent to all IP addresses belonging to the same PCP server.

NEW:
 For efficiency, the PCP client SHOULD use the same Mapping Nonce for requests sent to all IP addresses belonging to the same PCP server. As a reminder, nonce validation checks are performed when operating in the Simple Threat Model (Section 18.1 of [RFC6887]) to defend against some off-path attacks.

Better?

I already fixed the nits in my local copy.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Med