[secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-metrics-rationale-02

Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> Wed, 06 March 2013 15:40 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 10:40:02 -0500
From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
To: secdir <secdir@ietf.org>, chris.dearlove@baesystems.com, T.Clausen@computer.org, philippe.jacquet@alcatel-lucent.com, macker@itd.nrl.navy.mil, sratliff@cisco.com, Stewart Bryant <stbryant@cisco.com>, Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Subject: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-metrics-rationale-02

SECDIR review of draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-metrics-rationale-02

I reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.These
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
directors.Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments
just like any other last call comments.

This document is targeted as an Informational RFC. It describes itself
as "... an historic record of the rationale for, and design
considerations behind, how link metrics were included in OLSRv2."

The Security Considerations section says simply "This document does not
specify any security considerations." It's been a very long time (many
years) since I've encountered that phrase in a candidate RFC. A
rationale document itself probably does not entail security
considerations, but the omission of any security discussion suggests
that security did not play a role in the deign of this routing protocol.
Is that true? If so, who thinks this is a good thing?

I looked at the I-D that defines OLSRv2. It contains a two-page Security
Considerations section. From my perspective, this document ought to
provide background info (rationale) for the security suggestions
contained that document.