Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-pwe3-fc-encap-14.txt

<david.black@emc.com> Thu, 24 February 2011 22:42 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: shanna@juniper.net, secdir@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 17:40:55 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: david.black@emc.com, draft-ietf-pwe3-fc-encap@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-pwe3-fc-encap-14.txt

Steve,

Thanks for reviewing this draft.

> At least, the authors should add a reference to a document
> that describes the attacks to which this protocol is susceptible
> and the countermeasures that can be employed.

Sure, I'll start with references to the security considerations sections of RFC 3985 (PWE3 Architecture) and RFC 4385 (PWE3 Control Word).  In addition, in thinking about this, I realized that there are aspects of the encapsulation that aren't covered by either the PWE3 or FC security material - for example, an attacker who can inject delay can cause violation of the timing requirements in Section 5 sufficient to take down an FC PW link in a fashion that it will stay down (countermeasure to that is delay monitoring via OAM functionality).  I'll add at least that.

Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
david.black@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754