Re: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-isis-bfd-tlv-02

"Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com> Mon, 26 July 2010 07:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 00:55:06 -0700
From: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>
To: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>, Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Cc: "Stewart Bryant (stbryant)" <stbryant@cisco.com>, "Chris Hopps (chopps)" <chopps@cisco.com>, dward@juniper.com, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-isis-bfd-tlv-02

Sam/Stephen -

The mechanism introduced by this draft is used to determine when/if to
use BFD session state as a prerequisite to forming an IS-IS adjacency
and/or to trigger IS-IS adjacency state transitions. It does not make
any changes to the operation of BFD itself - which I think your wording
may unintentionally imply. How about:

"The TLV defined within this document describes an addition to the IS-IS
Hello protocol. Inappropriate use of this TLV could prevent an IS-IS
adjacency from forming or lead to failure to detect bidirectional
forwarding failures - each of which is a form of denial of service.
However, a party who can
manipulate the contents of this TLV is already in a position to create
such a denial of service by disrupting IS-IS routing in other ways."

??

> If the above paragraph is correct, I think it may go some distance to
> addressing Stephen's concern.
>
> However, I wonder how the authentication mechanisms of BFD interact
> with
> the authentication mechanisms of IS-IS?

They do not interact.

> Is it possible to get into a
> situation where IS-IS is authenticated but BFD is not?  If so, that
> should be discussed in the security considerations section.

It is possible to use BFD in conjunction w IS-IS today - and of course
folks are actually doing that. The mechanism introduced here does not
change that - it just allows the protocol to operate correctly when
IS-IS PDUs and IP/IPv6 packets do not share fate. I don't see that we
have introduced any change in the way authentication is used/not used
for either IS-IS or BFD - nor have we introduced the use of BFD in
conjunction w IS-IS. So I don't see that discussing the point you raise
is needed.

   Les