Re: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-mmusic-connectivity-precon-06

Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com> Fri, 16 October 2009 11:17 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:17:24 +0300
From: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
To: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Cc: fluffy@cisco.com, secdir@ietf.org, oran@cisco.com, fandreas@cisco.com, dwing@cisco.com, rjsparks@nostrum.com
Subject: Re: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-mmusic-connectivity-precon-06

Hi Stephen,

thanks for your review. You are right that the current text is too
vague. I have taken a stab at expanding it so that the threats and
possible solutions are clearer. Let us know if this new text would
address your comments.

The old text can be found at:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mmusic-connectivity-precon-06#section-7

The following is the new text:

7. Security Considerations

    General security considerations for preconditions are discussed in
    [RFC3312] and [RFC4032]. As discussed in [RFC4032], it is strongly
    RECOMMENDED that integrity protection be applied to the SDP session
    descriptions.  S/MIME [RFC3853] provides such end- to-end integrity
    protection, as described in [RFC3261]. Additionally, the following
    security issues relate specifically to connectivity preconditions.

    Connectivity preconditions rely on mechanisms beyond SDP such as
    TCP [RFC0793] connection establishment, or ICE connectivity checks
    [I-D.ietf-mmusic-ice] to establish and verify connectivity between
    an offerer and an answerer.  An attacker that prevents those
    mechanism from succeeding (e.g., by keeping ICE connectivity checks
    from arriving to their destination) can prevent media sessions from
    being established. While this attack relates to connectivity
    preconditions, it is actually an attack against the connection
    establishment mechanisms used by the endpoints. This attack can be
    performed in the presence or in the absence of connectivity
    preconditions. In their presence, the whole session setup will be
    disrupted. In their absence, only the establishment of the
    particular stream under attack will be disrupted. This
    specification does not provide any mechanism against attackers able
    to block traffic between the endpoints involved in the session
    because such an attacker will always be able to launch DoS (Denial
    of Service) attacks.

    Instead of blocking the connectivity checks, the attacker can
    generate forged connectivity checks that would cause the endpoints
    to assume that there was connectivity when there was actually no
    connectivity. This attack would result in a poor user's experience
    because the session would be established without all the media
    streams being ready. The same attack can be used, regardless of
    whether or not connectivity preconditions are used, to attempt to
    hijack a connection. The forged connectivity checks would trick the
    endpoints into sending media to the wrong direction. To prevent
    these attacks, it is RECOMMENDED that the mechanisms used to check
    connectivity are adequately secured by message authentication and
    integrity protection. For example, Section 2.5 of
    [I-D.ietf-mmusic-ice] discusses how message integrity and data
    origin authentication are implemented in ICE connectivity checks.

Thanks,

Gonzalo