Re: [Secdispatch] [saag] SECDISPATCH WG Summary from IETF 106

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Sun, 19 January 2020 16:52 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Brian Campbell <bcampbell=40pingidentity.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
cc: "secdispatch\@ietf.org" <secdispatch@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 11:52:15 -0500
Subject: Re: [Secdispatch] [saag] SECDISPATCH WG Summary from IETF 106

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

Brian Campbell <bcampbell=40pingidentity.com@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
    > Apologies folks, I'm responsible for the rushed and awkward
    > presentation about reverse proxies and TLS client certificates at the
    > very end of the SECDISPATCH session in Singapore, which is mentioned
    > below with "no draft yet--> needs draft". It took me a little while to
    > get through the work but I'm happy to share that there is now an
    > actual draft available. Here it is in the fancy new HTML format:
    > https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-bdc-something-something-certificate-01.html
    > as

Thanks for this document.
I think it is useful and important work.
{"something-something" sounds like something that Winnie the Pooh would ask to
eat for lunch}

draft-ietf-anima-bootstraping-keyinfra (aka BRSKI) makes use of TLS Client
Certificates in the Registrar.
I have a document on operational considerations for Registrars,
  draft-richardson-anima-registrar-considerations
and I've added your document as reference.

In section 1, you may wish to reference:
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Server_Gateway_Interface

although I can't find a section in https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3333/
that describes the Client Certificate variable.  I use "SSL_CLIENT_CERT"
and more recently, "rack.peer_cert" in my code.

** I would like to have access to the entire client certificate *chain* **
Not just the End-Entity certificate.

If any internal trust anchors were used to validate the chain, I also would
prefer to receive them as well.

Finally, I need to be able to configure the reverse proxy to do the TLS
operation on the assumption that the certificate validates, even if the
reverse proxy does not know how to validate the certificate chain itself.

I need, therefore, to know if the certificate chain was validated, or not.

You write:
  Forward proxies and other intermediaries MUST NOT add the Client-Cert header to requests.

but, the reverse proxy can not control what is sent to it, and you shouldn't
try to write normative language there.

You already handle this:
  2) Any occurrence of the Client-Cert header in the original incoming
     request MUST be removed or overwritten before forwarding the request.

and leave it like that, maybe emphasis this.
Maybe reverse proxies SHOULD reject requests that have a Client-Cert header
in them, period?

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@sandelman.ca>ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-