Re: [Secdispatch] FW: New Version Notification for draft-faibish-iot-ddos-usecases-01.txt

Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca> Wed, 22 January 2020 22:05 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca>
To: Faibish.Sorin@dell.com
cc: secdispatch@ietf.org, Kathleen.Moriarty@dell.com
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 17:05:13 -0500
Subject: Re: [Secdispatch] FW: New Version Notification for draft-faibish-iot-ddos-usecases-01.txt

I took a quick look through your document.

<Faibish.Sorin@dell.com> wrote:
    > with prevention protocol. Last meeting TEEP decided not to pursue this
    > draft as part of the TEEP WG as out of scope. As a result I want to

It certainly does seem out of scope for TEEP.  SUIT maybe, but even there
that work has been done. Perhaps it belongs with the MUD work as motivational
evidence, but I don't see anything particularly new.

Or with the IoT Lifecycle Security work that I've suggested, but it would
still be motivational document, maybe some kind of BCP once other specs reach
RFC and we have some experience with them.

    > I want to ask a 15 minutes time slot in the secdispatch meeting during
    > the IETF 107 in Vancouver as well as presenting the python tool to be
    > used by other interested parties to test their own IoT devices. I will

I'm sure that the tool is very interesting, but I don't see why secdispatch
should care.
I suggest that you might want to do a Happy Hackdemo presentation, or a screencast.

    > The tool is scanning any network protocol and open ports to check
    > vulnerability to be used by bad actors to start reflection DDoS attacks
    > from the device. The compliance tool runs Python code, to scan an IoT
    > device (local or external) for open ports, based on the most common 42
    > ports (TCP and UDP) used by IoTs. These port scan results are then

So, we've had tools like this for decades with mixed history of open source
and GPL and formerly this license and then another, and sometimes huge VC
behind them, and sometimes not.
The IETF doesn't standardized them, fund them, promote them, etc.

So unless the tool requires IANA actions, I don't see why it belongs here.
That's not to see it I'm un-interested, but it has no IETF-interest.
This feels like something that you write write a Usenet paper, NDSS,
PythonConf, ... paper for.  Or maybe just a really cool Screencast that you
upload to youtube.