Re: [SECMECH] Desire to standardize some specific EAP mechanisms

"T. Charles Clancy" <clancy@cs.umd.edu> Fri, 15 July 2005 11:32 UTC

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 07:32:37 -0400
From: "T. Charles Clancy" <clancy@cs.umd.edu>
To: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [SECMECH] Desire to standardize some specific EAP mechanisms
Cc: secmech@ietf.org
Sender: secmech-bounces@lists.ietf.org

As an author of EAP-PAX, I've been frustrated with the standards track
options available.  Doing the work in the EAP WG is the fastest route to
RFC.  IMHO, there is sufficient security talent within the EAP WG to
guarantee quality protocol development.

I certainly understand the concerns about diverging or duplicate work;
however, my biggest concern is the overhead time.  I've been trying to get
standards-track action for EAP-PAX for 8 months.  I suppose the existince
of this conversation indicates progress, but I'm not enthusiastic about
waiting another year or so.  If the proposed approach can be done in a
timely manner, then I'm all for it.

[ t. charles clancy ]--[ tcc@umd.edu ]--[ www.cs.umd.edu/~clancy ]
[ computer science ]-----[ university of maryland | college park ]