[SECMECH] Method work

"Salowey, Joe" <jsalowey@cisco.com> Tue, 23 August 2005 00:50 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:54:45 -0700
From: "Salowey, Joe" <jsalowey@cisco.com>
To: secmech@ietf.org
Subject: [SECMECH] Method work
Sender: secmech-bounces@lists.ietf.org

I would like to identify which mechanism types there is interest in
working on.  Below is a list of various authentication methods that
people have expressed interest in having support for in EAP and other
frameworks.    It may not be the case that we need a separate mechanism
for each of these.  I'd like to know who has interest in contributing
and reviewing (please indicate either or both) specifications for each
of these mechanism types.

1. X.509 Certificate credentials - (possible revision of EAP-TLS
(RFC2716)) - applicable to EAP, possibly applicable to GSS and SASL.
Desired by IEEE 802.11 for EAP.

2. Shared Secret - pre-shared secret method.  Applicable to EAP and GSS,
possibly SASL. Desired by IEEE 802.11 for EAP.

3. Password based -  essentially a shared secret mechanism that provides
resistance to dictionary attacks. It should support various backend
databases of password that use different storage techniques and perhaps
support for one time tokens as well.  Could use something related to EKE
or a tunneling approach.  Applicable to EAP, GSS, and SASL. Desired by
IEEE 802.11 for EAP.

4. Tunneling - a tunneling method is useful to protect weaker
authentication mechanisms.  Tunneling methods are also used to exchange
other types of authentication data.  Applicability EAP and GSS possibly
SASL.

5. Kerberos - Something that provide for initial authentication and a
strategy for resisting dictionary attacks.  Applicable to EAP, possibly
GSS.

Thanks,

Joe