RE: [SECMECH] Continuing my rant about EAP vs GSS-API...

"Salowey, Joe" <jsalowey@cisco.com> Wed, 10 August 2005 13:51 UTC

Subject: RE: [SECMECH] Continuing my rant about EAP vs GSS-API...
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 06:55:52 -0700
From: "Salowey, Joe" <jsalowey@cisco.com>
To: Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com, secmech@ietf.org
Sender: secmech-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Hi Pasi,

The current goal of GUAM is not to change the applicability of various
frameworks. I believe that you are somewhat correct in that the
different frameworks are typically used in different systems.  However
the all have the same goal within each of there systems and that is
authentication and establishment of cryptographic state between two
entities.  This is just a true for EAP as it is for GSS-API.  EAP itself
is not a three party protocol even when the EAP Sever is located on a
AAA server separate from the EAP authenticator.  What is needed to
create a mechanism that is usable in each of these frameworks is to
adhere to the requirements in each of these frameworks, most of which
actually are discussed in the EAP RFC.

We are not trying to solve all of ISMS problems in this group and in
particular we are not trying to make EAP applicable to ISMS.  ISMS is
working on solutions to their problems. What we are trying to do is to
unify mechanism development.  However, an additional work item that may
be relevant to this group that you focused on is tighter application
integration with AAA.  I think there are a possible number of ways to
approach this and I'd be open to discuss it.  I think the GUAM work is
necessary to have tighter application integration into AAA.

It sounds like you would like to have the AAA server explicitly involved
in some sort of three party exchange.  I'm not completely convinced that
this is a good idea as systems tend to work as they are today without it
and making the system more complex does not necessarily solve a problem.
In order to explicitly involve AAA in a n application security protocol
one could design an extension to the GSS-API framework which covers both
an application client exchange with the AAA server (probably using the
EAP interface into AAA) and also covers the exchange between the
application client and application server based on the AAA conversation.
I think this would go a long way to addressing your concerns.

I think it would be useful to define what the actual requirements an
benefits of such an integrated system are.  Is this something you would
like to look at?

Joe