Re: [sfc] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-sfc-serviceid-header-12: (with DISCUSS)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Tue, 03 November 2020 02:07 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2020 18:07:43 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-sfc-serviceid-header@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-sfc-serviceid-header@ietf.org>, "sfc-chairs@ietf.org" <sfc-chairs@ietf.org>, "sfc@ietf.org" <sfc@ietf.org>, Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [sfc] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-sfc-serviceid-header-12: (with DISCUSS)

Hi Med,

Thanks for helping out with the early start.

On Mon, Nov 02, 2020 at 07:50:36AM +0000, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> This is a fair and a good point.
>
> FYI, we raised this point to the WG (see Slide 7 of https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/104/slides/slides-104-sfc-sfc-chair-slides-01). Because the issue is ** not specific ** to this spec, the WG decided to define a solution that will apply to any TLV carrying sensitive data (including encryption): draft-ietf-sfc-nsh-integrity.
>
> What about making this change:
>
> OLD:
>    A misbehaving node within from the SFC-enabled domain may alter the
>    content of Subscriber Identifier and Performance Policy Context
>    Headers which may lead to service disruption.  Such attack is not
>    unique to the Context Headers defined in this document; measures
>    discussed in [RFC8300] are to be followed.
>
> NEW:
>    A misbehaving node within from the SFC-enabled domain may alter the
>    content of Subscriber Identifier and Performance Policy Context
>    Headers which may lead to service disruption.  Such attack is not
>    unique to the Context Headers defined in this document; measures
>    discussed in [RFC8300] are to be followed. A mechanism for SFC integrity
>    is specified in [I-D.ietf-sfc-nsh-integrity].

I may well have to properly read the document to comment confidently, but I
think this change is not along the axis I am most concerned about right
now.  (It is a find change to make, just not the change I was looking for
here.)  Specifically, it is talking about "how can I protect this
information?" rather than "why might I need to protect this information?".
I think that the statement in 8300 is saying that we ("would", at the time
of 8300, but now "will") need to consider how (e.g.) the per-packet
subscriber information would traverse through the SFP, what nodes would now
have access to it (at a per-packet level) that did not previously, whether
there are network links (yes, even within the trusted domain) that would
now have access to the additional metadata, if there is other cleartext
data or metadata in the payload that is now easily associated with the
subscriber for social-engineering/blackmail/etc. attacks, etc.  In short,
the considerations that someone would have to think about in order to
decide whether nsh-integrity will be needed for their deployment.

Thanks,

Ben