Re: [shim6] Problems with ULID (IP) over longer sessions.

Alberto García <alberto@it.uc3m.es> Thu, 29 April 2010 14:26 UTC

From: Alberto García <alberto@it.uc3m.es>
To: 'Javier Ubillos' <jav@sics.se>, shim6@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:20:18 +0200
Cc: 'Zhongxing Ming' <mingzx@126.com>
Subject: Re: [shim6] Problems with ULID (IP) over longer sessions.

Hi,

That's not much precise...

|  I'm unsure about the details of what would cause the problem or what the
|  consequences could be.
|
|  My own first reaction is that if a software believes it's communicating
|  with an IP (a shim6 ULID), it might try to spawn more sockets/flows to
|  that IP.

This is completely reasonable. If a Shim6 context exists for a
communication, Shim6 will use the locators in use for the existing context,
even if the ULIDs are no longer locators.
RFC 5533 even supports establishing a new session for a ULID which is not a
valid locator, by using other addresses and including the ULID as an option.

Don't see here any problem.

|  Have this kind of issues been discussed previously on this list? ( I
|  couldn't find any discussions about it).
|  Have any one on this list some more detailed thoughts/experience about
|  what could cause issues?
|
|  I'm asking this because a couple of colleges and I are looking at using
|  alternative ULIDs which hopefully would be more of a match with session
|  identifiers/FQDNs or similar.

Well, security issues for these alternative ULIDs should be carefully
considered.

Regards,
Alberto