Re: [shim6] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-shim6-multihome-shim-api

Shinta Sugimoto <shinta.sugimoto@ericsson.com> Mon, 14 December 2009 04:41 UTC

From: Shinta Sugimoto <shinta.sugimoto@ericsson.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, "miika.komu@hiit.fi" <miika.komu@hiit.fi>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:41:16 +0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "shim6@ietf.org" <shim6@ietf.org>, Kristian Slavov <kristian.slavov@ericsson.com>, "miika@iki.fi" <miika@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: [shim6] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-shim6-multihome-shim-api

Hi again,

With regard to the compability issue with SHIM6 and SCTP (and potentially multi-path TCP), I agree that we may need to put small note in the API spec.  I checked the applicability document (draft-ietf-shim6-applicability) and I think what is stated in Section 7.3 (Shim6 and SCTP) is reasonable.

So, I think we should notes in the document stating that:

- it is not recommended to apply SHIM6 (or HIP) and any other multihoming mechanism to the IP flow by referring to draft-ietf-shim6-applicability
- we recommend SCTP and multipath TCP to have API to turn on/off the multihoming feature (so that the TCP/IP stack can avoid conflicting use of multihoming mechanisms)

Regards,
Shinta