[sidr] RPKI Repo concerns WAS Re: Interim Meeting Dates/Locations (Proposed)

Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org> Wed, 28 March 2012 06:22 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com>, "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:22:30 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: [sidr] RPKI Repo concerns WAS Re: Interim Meeting Dates/Locations (Proposed)

Hi Matt,

On 28/03/12 8:20 AM, "Matt Lepinski" <mlepinski@bbn.com> wrote:

> I see your point here. However, I am personally very grateful to Rob for
> his BitTorrent experiment. I believe that the choke point of the global
> RIR repositories is a vital challenge in RPKI deployment.

Excellent - so we have a defined, and succinct problem statement.
"The choke point of the global RIR repositories is a vital challenge in RPKI
deployment."

> I think the
> working group would benefit from spending significant bandwidth thinking
> about this challenge and I see Rob's presentation as a very reasonable
> way to get the ball rolling.

It's a thought process. And I don't mind seeing the idea thrown "out there"
with a speculative solution. My comments were in parallel with the time /
form / agenda of the proposed interim meetings, and the idea that some
(many?) will be churning additional resources from their own companies to
participate and in that participate remotely with all the obvious foibles
that brings.

> That is, this particular topic has been completely dormant on the

Sorry, has this been previously raised on the ML? I couldn't find anything
in a quick scan of the archives. Do you have a pointer?

> mailing list in the past months. Therefore, doing any kind of concrete
> experiment and presenting it to the working group as a possible approach
> for getting around the global-repository choke-point seems like a
> valuable way to spur work/discussion on this topic.

I appreciate experimentation as a valuable precursor to discussion, but more
than anything I would love to see some requirements fleshed out in working
group form first.

Cheers
Terry