Re: [sidr] WGLC for draft-ietf-sidr-algorithm-agility-03

Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> Wed, 02 November 2011 08:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 04:34:45 -0400
To: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Cc: "draft-ietf-sidr-algorithm-agility@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-sidr-algorithm-agility@tools.ietf.org>, "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] WGLC for draft-ietf-sidr-algorithm-agility-03

At 6:29 PM -0700 11/1/11, Terry Manderson wrote:
>On 31/10/11 11:59 PM, "Stephen Kent" <kent@bbn.com> wrote:
>

>>>  I understand why you want to, but don't come to the same conclusion as to
>>>  the mechanism.
>>>
>>>  Is that really the IETF's job?
>>
>>  SIDR was tasked by the SEc ADs to develop an alg transition architecture.
>>  The authors believe that uniform milestones are necessary as part of
>>  a credible plan.
>>

>Architecture, yes. Structured approach, yes. To both of those I agree.
>Having the IETF define the dates when algorithms shift. I am not convinced.

An architecture that ignores the need to have a global, uniform set
of milestones for transition phases is incomplete.

>  >> Call me a dirty rotten cynic but I just don't see this
>operational aspect of
>  >> one or more running RPKI hierarchies as part of the IETF. Although you can
>>>  prove me wrong, and I'll concede to an already enacted example where dates
>>>  were set for some artifact.
>>
>>  We have to have two, parallel hierarchies to avoid a flag day. This
>>  is not a situation where every CA can decide, locally, when to
>>  transition, because the the alg change affect ALL RPs.
>
>We are talking years. The overlap will be significant. And I disagree - in
>this case every CA has to consciously decide - there may well be a situation
>that a mid term operational impact requires an important CA in the middle of
>the chain to delay. That then renders all dates specified in any RFC next to
>meaningless.

Yes, we are talking years. No, it cannot be a local, per-CA decision, because
the transition affects all RPs. I anticipate that the stakeholders,
CAs and RPs, will have the ability to comment on the proposed dates,
and that the IETF/IESG will take into account these comments when
developing the timeline. If a major problem arises that makes it
infeasible for CAs to adhere t the timeline, a new RFC can be issued.

>  >> I'm still not with you on this - I understand that it makes life
>easy to say
>  >> "the IETF said 12/12/2018 is D-Day, get with it" .. ... buuuutt I see that
>>>  as a step beyond what the IETF should do.
>>
>>  If not the IETF, then whom? The IETF (via SIDR) is the author of the
>>  CP. This is an extension of the CP, in many respects.
>
>The IETF (via SIDR) doesn't implement the hierarchy, nor operate the CAs.

agreed.

>Perhaps the parent(s) and 'non-leaf' CAs should work on this and issue a
>statement of transition in following RFCXXXX (this draft). I'm reasonably
>sure the non-leaf CAs are capable of making noise when required ;)

See comments above re setting and revising the timeline.

>As an example of flag day events, even though RFC5855 ( Nameservers for IPv4
>and IPv6 Reverse Zones ) was published as an IETF document. It was left to
>the various operators (root-servers, reverse-servers et al) to work on the
>transition. Admittedly no change was required on the user's software. The
>principle isn't that much different.

I disagree. Because an alg transition does impact all RPs, there is a
big difference.

>What I do like about the document is the pre-canned phases, of what happens
>when, and how. This is good.. and I think that satisfies the request from
>the SEC ADs, but specifying the "when" in IETF - I just don't buy.

So, who do you propose as alternates? Your comment above about
parent(s) and "non-leaf" CAs issuing a statement encompasses IANA,
the RIRs, and thousands of ISPs.  When has that set of players issued
a statement analogous to this?

Steve