Re: [sidr] draft-ymbk-rpki-grandparenting-00.txt

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Tue, 12 June 2012 13:23 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, sidr wg list <sidr@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 09:23:53 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sidr] draft-ymbk-rpki-grandparenting-00.txt

Randy -

I'm thinking that there's a simpler use case for this -

In the situation where A delegated space to C, who delegated it further to G, and G would like help managing data, but C is not willing or able to do so, and so G works with A to make this happen. The concept of changing providers may not be necessary to illustrate the point.

Regarding adoption, I'm not certain I understand from the current text why this can't be incorporated into existing drafts as a brief note. If I'm interpreting this draft correctly, you're saying that there's nothing technically hard about doing this, but that there are some business and contractual issues to deal with, mainly on account of the potentially fractured business relationship between the parties involved, and proper validation of the information you're certifying. But that's true of any relationship where one party certifies on anothers' behalf. What's different about this case that requires it to be treated separately from other operational considerations? I love the "responsible grandparenting" title, but I'm just thinking it's easier for reader and implementer alike if this is consolidated.

Thanks,

Wes George