[sidr] Comment on draft-ietf-sidr-origin-validation-signaling-01

Danny McPherson <danny@tcb.net> Tue, 15 November 2011 02:12 UTC

From: Danny McPherson <danny@tcb.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:12:13 -0500
To: sidr wg list <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: [sidr] Comment on draft-ietf-sidr-origin-validation-signaling-01

In general, I don't like the idea of using an extcomm community to convey
a prefixes validation state, I think we should deal with this problem natively
(e.g., as BGPSEC inter-domain) if we're going to address the problem, in
particular if we're not going to address the AS Confederations problem.

Furthermore, I don't like the deployment considerations, in particular because
of "privilege escalation attacks" which could easily occur through misconfiguration
across multiple attribute mapping functions, or simply because the extcomm was
received from an BGP peer that isn't "upgraded to support the extensions
defined in this document":

   "In deployment scenarios where not all the speakers in an autonomous
   system are upgraded to support the extensions defined in this
   document, it is necessary to define policies that match on the origin
   validation extended community and set another BGP attribute
   [I-D.ietf-sidr-pfx-validate] that influences the best path selection
   the same way as what would have been enabled by an implementation of
   this extension."

Finally, this should certainly a normative reference in the pfx-validate draft.

-danny