[sidr] Terry Manderson's Discuss on draft-ietf-sidr-publication-10: (with DISCUSS)

"Terry Manderson" <terry.manderson@icann.org> Wed, 18 January 2017 06:29 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 22:29:50 -0800
Cc: morrowc@ops-netman.net, sidr-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-sidr-publication@ietf.org, sidr@ietf.org
Subject: [sidr] Terry Manderson's Discuss on draft-ietf-sidr-publication-10: (with DISCUSS)

Terry Manderson has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sidr-publication-10: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-publication/

DISCUSS:

Updating after reading sidr-oob-setup-06.

I see that the publisher wins as per Section 5.2.4
<repository_response/>

My original discuss us below, so you may omit the concern about
negotiating the URI. The remainder stands.

Thanks
T.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Thanks for finally bringing this protocol forward.

I support Alissa's and Alexey's concerns.

I only have one discuss for this draft.

Looking at section 4, operational considerations I was expecting to see a
review of any considerations as to how this protocol works, the
interaction between the layers of HTTP, CMS, and XML and any
implementation differences/difficulties that exist between the 2 known
implementations. Instead there is a discussion on laying out the
repository structure under the mandatory to implement _retrieval_
mechanism (RSYNC) and the nuances of RSYNC itself. This appears to be
misplaced as the protocol (HTTP/CMS/XML) interactions here are simply
about publication from a certificate authority operator to a repository
operator, and in that space surely the publication protocol (this doc) is
agnostic to the exact repo structure.

In both a database world (not a file based one) and where multiple RPKI
fetch mechanisms (rsync, http, torrent, etc ...) are used, how is the
exact URI meaningful for sidr-publication? There might be a deeper
problem here regarding any potential collisions and negotiation of the
URI space between the certificate authority operator and the publication
repository operator. (sure, in a situation where Alice does both, no
problem.) So you may wish to address issues like that in the operational
considerations section as opposed to dealing with RSYNC (in)efficiencies.