Re: [sidr] beacons and bgpsec

Jakob Heitz <jakob.heitz@ericsson.com> Wed, 10 August 2011 15:24 UTC

From: Jakob Heitz <jakob.heitz@ericsson.com>
To: "Montgomery, Douglas" <dougm@nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:25:32 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: sidr wg list <sidr@ietf.org>, George Michaelson <ggm@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: [sidr] beacons and bgpsec

Sorry, where did the 2% load come from?
Does that mean that every prefix in the Internet is already being advertised 50 times every day?
Then, one more advertisement per day would make it 2% extra load.

Also, note that a beacon every day means a timeout of 3 days. Previous suggestions were a timeout of ~24 hours and a beacon of ~8 hours.

An alternative to beaconing is a push model instead of pull. That is, every router registers it's interest with the repository instead of querying it periodically. Then the repository would tell all registered parties when a change occurred rather than waiting for them to ask.

--
Jakob Heitz.