Re: [sidr] draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-threats-02: Path shortening & lengthening

"Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <kotikalapudi.sriram@nist.gov> Mon, 09 April 2012 16:15 UTC

From: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <kotikalapudi.sriram@nist.gov>
To: "robert@raszuk.net" <robert@raszuk.net>, "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:15:15 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "idr@ietf.org List" <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-threats-02: Path shortening & lengthening

The updates in a BGPSEC island can be BGPSEC (i.e., signed) or BGP-4 (i.e., unsigned).
In either case, the update necessarily has AS-path info.
If the update is BGP-4 (i.e., unsigned), it has the BGP-4 AS_PATH (mandatory) in it.
If the update is BGPSEC (i.e., signed), then it MUST have the "Secure Path" in it.
The Secure Path is in the form of {ASN1, pCount1, ASN2, pCount2, ...., ASN-k, pCount-k}.
Please refer to slide 8 in Matt's presentation (BGPSEC Protocol) in Paris.
The Secure Path is semantically equivalent to the BGP-4 AS_PATH.
When the update is to leave a BGPSEC island to go to a BGP-4 only AS,
then the Secure Path is easily converted to BGP-4 AS_PATH at the edge of the BGPSEC island.
Any prepend ASN that was collapsed in BGPSEC will be repeated pCount number of times,
and any transparent route server ASN (with pCount=0) in BGPSEC will be removed.
Is this semantic equivalence (of the Secure Path) and
the guarantee of convertibility to BGP-4 AS_PATH not enough?
Should we really require in BGPSEC that the BGP-4 AS_PATH be carried (in a pristine way)
in addition to the Secure Path, albeit at the cost of duplication and associated
processing cost/confusion? Just a honest question seeking people's opinion.

Sriram