Re: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-tree-validation-01.txt

Declan Ma <madi@zdns.cn> Sun, 10 July 2016 14:12 UTC

From: Declan Ma <madi@zdns.cn>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 22:08:25 +0800
To: Oleg Muravskiy <oleg@ripe.net>
Cc: sidr <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-tree-validation-01.txt

Oleg,

I think this version is much better.

Yet I still have a question with Section Security Considerations:

"In contrast, objects whose content hash matches the hash listed in
   the manifest, but that are not located in the publication directory
   listed in their CA certificate, will be used in the validation
   process (although a warning will be issued in that case).”

Given these sorts of objects have been found somehow, in a different repository as described in Section 3.2.2. Manifest entries validation, your RP will take accept them anyway, using them in validation.

What if this manifest is a stale one when the latest MFT has been deleted maliciously or inadvertently?

A ROA found in a different repository may has been removed by the administrator and an attacker just replaces this ROA into that ‘different repository’  with poor management.

There could be many risks here. I wonder why you take this approach.

Di