[sidr] Time frame for changing RPSTIR to the new validation algorithm

Declan Ma <madi@zdns.cn> Mon, 08 August 2016 14:59 UTC

From: Declan Ma <madi@zdns.cn>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 22:54:55 +0800
To: sidr <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: [sidr] Time frame for changing RPSTIR to the new validation algorithm

Folks,

I recall Tim has suggested a schedule for transition to the new validation algorithm during Berlin meeting. His proposal is to mandate RP support for the new all 6 months after the doc is published as an RFC.

My team is now responsible for RPSTIR update.

I am afraid that the proposal is sorta aggressive. IMHO, six-months after publication of the RFC may be too soon. Although this WG has been through discussions of the validation-reconsidered, but the conclusion was just reached.

This is really a fundamental change to both RP and CA, I anticipate we need more time to have RP software code changed and thoroughly tested, to accommodate the new validation procedures.

Anyway, we are evaluating the time frame,trying to give absolute dates as soon as possible.

BTW, OID issue has not been yet with IANA feedbacks. We can’t be sure how long it will take to go through the IESG approval process, incurring uncertainty. I am not reassured whether it is prudent to get started with RPSTIR update right away.

I am therefore looking forwards to seeing more discussions and comments in this thread, especially from other RPKI implementers.

Di