Re: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops-01.txt

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Mon, 31 October 2011 17:44 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:44:40 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops-01.txt

Intro: I'm wondering whether instead of specifically saying "may require large memory and crypto assist" it would make more sense to discuss this more in terms of the hardware catching up with the software to ensure minimal performance impacts. Especially given that current crypto hardware isn't really designed to accelerate the types of operations BGPSec would require of it, I'm not sure it makes sense to be that specific right now.

Section 3 reuses a good bit of text from sidr-origin-ops regarding placement of caches (local vs remote, "close", etc). Same comments apply here. More to the point, perhaps simply referencing the other document and leaving this one to document things that are specific to BGPSec would be cleaner.

Bgpsec-reqs 3.4 provides a list of operational considerations to discuss. Would probably make sense to ensure that the document covers all of the listed items, perhaps even using those items as section headings for continuity's sake.
As I recommended in my comments on design-reqs, I think that a performance impacts section would be helpful in any discussion of operational considerations. This is especially important for BGPSec since much more of the processing has to happen on-box vs being farmed out to external commodity server hardware.

Thanks
Wes George