Re: [sidr] [Idr] draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-threats-02: Path shortening & lengthening

Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> Mon, 09 April 2012 16:29 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 18:29:41 +0200
From: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
To: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <kotikalapudi.sriram@nist.gov>
Cc: "idr@ietf.org List" <idr@ietf.org>, "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] [Idr] draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-threats-02: Path shortening & lengthening

Hi Sriram,

 > When the update is to leave a BGPSEC island to go to a BGP-4 only AS,
 > then the Secure Path is easily converted to BGP-4 AS_PATH at the edge
 > of the BGPSEC island.

What happens in the opposite direction ? How AS_PATH/AS4_PATH can be
converted to BGPSEC_Path_Signatures without all necessary information
present at the ASBR at any arbitrary Autonomous System ? Are you going
to propose NULL signatures ?

How are you planning on a flag date where all ASBRs in the Internet are
BGPSEC complaint ?

Why one needs to upgrade also all P routers (intra domain BGP speakers)
to be BGPSEC complaint provided he is not using BGP as an overlay today?

If you think removal of AS_PATH/AS4_PATH is helpful in any way the much
simpler would be to define new set of AFIs and call it "SECURED" leaving
current AFI 1 and AFI 2 unchanged BGP protocol wise.

Thx,
R.