[sidr] draft-ietf-sidr-lta-use-cases-05.txt

Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> Thu, 16 June 2016 14:00 UTC

To: sidr <sidr@ietf.org>
From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 10:00:33 -0400
Subject: [sidr] draft-ietf-sidr-lta-use-cases-05.txt

I read the latest version of this document and have a few comments, some
of which I have made before, to no avail ;-).

I still find the wording of the three examples in Section 4 to be
unnecessarily informal. I’ve provided suggested text for previous
versions of this document that probably is still applicable, since the
examples do not seem to have changed much. It seems preferable to
describe the first motivating case without reference to a specific RIR.
(Including a parenthetical note about the historical precedent of a
Dutch court order involving RIPE is relevant and might be included.)
There is language in the adverse actions document that could be used
here to be more formal, less folksy. Since adverse actions is now a Wg
document, one might even cite sections of it to support the examples. In
the second example, the term “borrowed” is not defined. I think I know
what is implied, and it seems inappropriate to possibly condone
advertisement of address space allocated to another party, just because
that party is not advertising the space to the global Internet. Why not
just stick with private address space in this example? The third example
is a six-line, run-on sentence, so it’s not easy for a reader to be
certain what the example really implies.

The Notes section (5) seems to offer an analysis of requirement for
potential solutions to address the use cases. Maybe a better section
title is warranted.

David’s SLURM document describes a mechanism that seems to address the
local, customized view requirements described in Section 4. (David says
that it addresses the second and maybe third uses cases, but I think he
was modest in his assertion.) SLURM could support the first use case, if
the community decided on a mechanism to distribute SLURM files in
response to a CA being compelled to modify RPKI data. (It would be easy
to ad a digital signature to the files, to provide authentication and
integrity, but the there’s the little issue of key management and a
suitable trust model …) The design accommodates merging of multiple
SLURM files, meeting that requirement as stated in this section. Note
that SLURM does not require modifying ROAs or GB records. It is a
post-processing mechanism using “local” configuration data that
overrides the global data acquired from the RPKI. This suggests that
some of the comments in Section 5 are not accurate, e.g., ones that
allude to the problems posed by not having keys to sign ROAs, etc.
Although there is a need to achieve the effect of modifying, creating
and/or replacing ROAs and GB records, that effect does not have to
involve signatures on the affected data, as suggested in the first and
third paragraphs of Section 5.

Typos:

… to be a formally formally defined set … (repeated word)

… 'recipes' should be mergable (mergeable?)

The Security Considerations text seems unduly negative. The approach
being proposed here is not violating global security, because the
results are intended to be local. How about the following wording:

The use cases described in Section 4, and the notes for suggested
solution approaches in Section 5, are not intended to undermine the
security provided by the RPKI. Rather they identify potential obstacles
to widespread adoption of the RPKI, and suggest changes that would
enable network operators to generate custom “views” of the RPKI for use
on a local basis. Providing the ability to create local RPKI views does
not adversely affect global routing security.