Re: [sidr] Slides for "RPKI Over BitTorrent" presentation

"Murphy, Sandra" <Sandra.Murphy@sparta.com> Thu, 29 March 2012 12:54 UTC

From: "Murphy, Sandra" <Sandra.Murphy@sparta.com>
To: Danny McPherson <danny@tcb.net>, sidr wg list <sidr@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:54:10 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.185.63.118]
Subject: Re: [sidr] Slides for "RPKI Over BitTorrent" presentation

>i don't think the rsync scale issues surprise anyone that was paying attention.

I am not sure what part of the presentation you are talking about.  In the "day in the life" presentation, I saw only differences due to implementation, not differences due to scale.

And in the "rpki over bittorrent" presentation, the point was made that the implementation choice creates performance differences.

>perhaps we shouldn't be so quick on the trigger for Standards Track work and move this and related "investigation" to the IRTF, or at least ensure they're only Experimental until broader experience is gained.

There's a process in the IETF for protocols to go from Proposed to full standard as lessons are learned from operational experience.   The progress through maturity levels is a fundamental part of the IETF process.  You seem to suggest that new protocols should start out in Experimental "until broader experience is gained" - perhaps you should suggest an IETF process change.

Having one protocol for everyone to use was necessary for interoperability and rsync was chosen as the MTI.  Again, typical IETF process.

>Looking at the charts you presented I can only imagine what will happen with 40K RPs and >1M objects (which might be a reasonable assumption if this were fully deployed today - and that's only focusing on routed number resources).

I don't imagine that 40K relying parties or even full certification will be any time soon.  In the meantime we have a MTI protocol for interop.  And the architecture is extensible so that other transports could be introduced as deemed necessary from experience.

Don't worry so much.  The sky is not falling here.

--Sandy