Re: [sidr] Follow-up on June 6 Interim : Confederations

"Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <kotikalapudi.sriram@nist.gov> Fri, 15 June 2012 20:07 UTC

From: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <kotikalapudi.sriram@nist.gov>
To: Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com>, "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:07:36 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sidr] Follow-up on June 6 Interim : Confederations

This solution for confeds *requires* each AS within a confed to sign internally
(i.e., from AS to AS within the confed). It does not allow the choice to
a confed operator to sign or not sign the updates internally.
For instance, the operator may be satisfied with the level of mutual trust
within the confed, and therefore may choose to not sign updates internally.

Do we want to provision this choice into the protocol?

Discussion points:

Having this choice helps the operator to avoid the extra processing burden for
the confed ASes when they have sufficient trust within the confed.

If we decide that the protocol must be flexible enough to offer this choice,
then one solution would be to keep the AS_PATH.
Then the confed sequence info is carried in the AS_PATH as normal,
and the operator can choose to sign or not sign updates internally.

A secondary advantage of the AS_PATH based approach is that
in the lazy mode or super lazy mode (which we discussed at the last meeting),
the processing of updates in the confed ASes becomes less complex.
The processing cost also decreases for the case when a BGPSEC router
needs to do conversion to regular BGP update for a non-BGPSEC peer.

Sriram