Re: [sidr] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-sidr-slurm-07: (with COMMENT)

Di Ma <madi@rpstir.net> Fri, 30 March 2018 19:49 UTC

From: Di Ma <madi@rpstir.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 03:49:39 +0800
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, morrowc@ops-netman.net, draft-ietf-sidr-slurm@ietf.org, sidr@ietf.org, sidr-chairs@ietf.org
To: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [sidr] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-sidr-slurm-07: (with COMMENT)

Benjamin,

Thanks very much for your comments.

I will exchange notes with co-authors on your editorial suggestions.

Yet as for your question about slurmTarget, here is the explanation.

First of all, the FQDN is used by the SLURM file distributor to determine which RP will use this slurm file, noting that RP is identified by FQDN.

People might think this design is sort of redundancy, arguing that if the SLURM file distributor does not want a specific RP to effect SLURM, just not do that, why bother to throw this file to that RP, indicating ’this file is not for you’.

The reason why we do this is to provide the scalability for SLURM in operations.

Given a SLURM file distributor service several RPs and SLURM file need to change at times to reflect local policy.

An easy to do so is that all the registered RPs simply synchronize with SLURM file distributor, telling from the slurmTarget to decide whether to effect ‘a specific version’ of slurm file 'this time'.

All in all, to answer your question, if the same SLURM file is provided to multiple RPs, those RPs identified by FQDN, will first to see whether ‘this version’ of slurm file is for itself 'this time'.

And then an RP uses this slurm file to form different views for different BGP speakers as specified by slrumtarget ASN.

BTW, as stated in the document, if the operator does not want to use slrumtarget ‘hostname’ to gain management granularity, just not put it into a slrumtarget element.

I hope my clarification is making sense here.

Di

> Does this mean that if the same SLURM file is
> provided to multiple RPs, those RPs both need to be "responsible
> for" all the ASNs and FQDNS contained therein?  Would this present a
> limit on the ability to reuse SLURM files for multiple recipients
> within a single administrative domain (that may span multiple ASNs
> and FQDNs)?

Di  Ma
RPSTIR
https://bgpsecurity.net