Re: [sidr] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-21: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 04 January 2017 20:48 UTC

To: "Montgomery, Douglas (Fed)" <dougm@nist.gov>, Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 20:48:02 +0000
Cc: IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, IETF SIDR <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-21: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hiya,

On 04/01/17 20:00, Montgomery, Douglas (Fed) wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> If I understand your question, I don’t think one can infer anything about
> the BGP feeds or route selection processes of an AS based upon the traffic
> a validating cache sends to RPKI repositories.

Is that the same traffic a BGPsec relying party sends?

I can imagine that it might or might not be, but don't
recall the BGPsec spec saying.

If, in fact, it isn't possible to infer which ASes are
likely to be used from the traffic emitted by an RP
for PKI purposes, then yes, this discuss point goes
away. (I think:-)

Cheers,
S.