Re: [sidr] RPKI-RTR implementation clues

Ruediger Volk <rv@NIC.DTAG.DE> Wed, 27 September 2017 09:54 UTC

To: Denis Fondras <ietf@ledeuns.net>
cc: sidr@ietf.org, rv@limes.NIC.DTAG.DE
From: Ruediger Volk <rv@NIC.DTAG.DE>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 11:54:16 +0200
Subject: Re: [sidr] RPKI-RTR implementation clues

Hi Denis,
  > Hi,
  >
  > I'm in the process of adding RPKI-RTR (RFC6810) support to OpenBGPd and I am
  > wondering about how others have implemented it.
great to hear about implementation efforts for another (nice)
BGP implementation.

  > - How is the process started ?
  > Currently, when I start bgpd, it will fetch a list of VRP from the cache
  > and at the same time get prefixes from its peers.  As soon as it gets
  > a VRP, it will
  > try to validate prefixes in the RIB. The goal is to get a state as sooner as
  > possible to apply filters if needed.
  > The problem is I can have an unknown state in the case a prefix tries to get
  > validated while the VRP list is not complete. The solution is to make anoth
er
  > round of validation when I get a complete VRP list.
  > Do you wait until you get a complete VRP list (ENDOFDATA message) before
  > starting the validation process ?
it is a bad idea to do origin validation based on incomplete cache state.
For example consider that a more specific (e.g. beef:dead::/32)
will be classified INVALID if there is a matching ROA but only
a covering but NOT matching aggregate ROA (e.g. beef::/16-16) is
available before the more specific VRP.

  > - How are subsequent validation handled ?
  > Do you start the validation process as soon as you get a new VRP or do you
wait
  > for a refresh timer ? In the former, a prefix could stay in the wrong state
 for
  > some time. I am assuming that every new prefix is validated as it arrives.
Lazy origin validation classification is allowed (but it implies that
besides unknown/valid/invalid you should support a 4th class of "unclassified"
is needed). It's great if recceived announcements are immediately classified
- but that can only be done correctly against a complete cache state.