Re: [sidr] [Idr] draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-threats-02: Path shortening & lengthening

Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> Mon, 09 April 2012 17:22 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 19:22:22 +0200
From: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
To: "Murphy, Sandra" <Sandra.Murphy@sparta.com>
Cc: "idr@ietf.org List" <idr@ietf.org>, "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <kotikalapudi.sriram@nist.gov>, "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] [Idr] draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-threats-02: Path shortening & lengthening

Hi Sandy,

> There is no reverse direction.

What do you mean there is no reverse direction ?

Sriram said:

"When the update is to leave a BGPSEC island to go to a BGP-4 only AS,
then the Secure Path is easily converted to BGP-4 AS_PATH at the edge of
the BGPSEC island."

That means that there is EBGP peering at the two ASes which on one side
supports BGPSEC on the other does not.

In order to establish any form of bidirectional communication sites on
the left need to know how to reach sites on the right and vice versa.

So your below "Don't worry, no problem" directly means "no
reachability". I am afraid there is slight problem with that.

Best regards,
R.