Re: [sidr] stub AS and proxy signing

"Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <kotikalapudi.sriram@nist.gov> Sat, 31 March 2012 21:34 UTC

From: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <kotikalapudi.sriram@nist.gov>
To: Brian Dickson <brian.peter.dickson@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:30:30 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Chris Morrow <morrowc@ops-netman.net>, "Murphy, Sandra" <Sandra.Murphy@sparta.com>, "sidr@ietf.org list" <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] stub AS and proxy signing

Brian,

I hope you agree with me and Sandy that your questions (in the thread re: draft-ietf-sidr-usecases-03)
were really about proxy signing for the stub origin AS, and not about use cases for
“prefix-origin validation”.
That is why I have started this different thread (with changed subject line).

The author team (and contributors) of draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol document discussed
stub ASs and proxy signing by transit provider (upstream AS) at length, and those discussions
are documented in:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sriram-bgpsec-design-choices-01
Please see sections 6.5 and 6.6.

Also, please see Section 6 (Considerations for Edge Sites) in the bgpsec-ops document
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ymbk-bgpsec-ops-01
“Thus a
   smallish edge router may hold only its own signing key(s) and sign
   it's announcement but not receive signed announcements and therefore
   not need to deal with the majority of the RPKI.”

Sharing the stub’s private key with the upstream transit provider is considered a bad practice.
Instead, the stub can simply only sign its prefix(es) to the upstream AS and
receive only unsigned updates from that upstream AS.
This requires minimal SW upgrade, and no HW upgrade in stub ASs.

I hope this helps address your questions.

Sriram