Re: [sidr] pCNT & prepending

"Montgomery, Douglas" <dougm@nist.gov> Thu, 28 July 2011 15:12 UTC

From: "Montgomery, Douglas" <dougm@nist.gov>
To: Danny McPherson <danny@tcb.net>, sidr wg list <sidr@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:11:58 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sidr] pCNT & prepending

Danny,

Yes, that is certainly the idea if we agree to protect prepending (as opposed to just avoiding multiple Sigs in the the presence of prepending).

If we protect prepending, the pCNT must be carried in the protocol, covered by the Sig and verified ... i.e., what you suggest below .. in validation.

Note, that if you don't want to protect prepending ... only avoid repeating sigs ..., then you don't have to carry pCNT in the protocol.  Just update the Sig verification algorithm treat sequences of repeated AS's as one.

If we like the "translucent" approach to support RS, then we need to carry pCNT in BGSSEC.   You are right we do need enhanced receive/process rules such as:

1. Only accept pCNT=0 from peers that are configured to be route servers.

2. Don't accept paths with multiple pCNT=0 entries in a row.

Anyway, if we like this approach, we can talk the details of the receiving rules / process rules to protect potential abuse.

dougm

Doug Montgomery - Manager Internet and Scalable Systems Research Group / Information Technology Laboratory / NIST