Re: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-rtr-keying-05.txt

Sean Turner <TurnerS@ieca.com> Tue, 13 May 2014 01:50 UTC

From: Sean Turner <TurnerS@ieca.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 21:50:05 -0400
To: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
Cc: "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-rtr-keying-05.txt

Wes,

Randy and I bashed some text around; would this work:

When it is decided that an active router key is to be revoked, the
process of requesting the CA to revoke, the process of the CA
actually revoking the router’s certificate, and then the process of
rekeying/renewing the router’s certificate, (possibly distributing a
new key and certificate to the router), and distributing the status
takes time during which the operator must decide how they wish
to maintain continuity of operations, with or without the compromised
private key, or whether they wish to to bring the router offline to
address the compromise.

Keeping the router operational and BGPsec-speaking is the ideal goal,
but if operational practices do not allow this then reconfiguring the
router to disabling BGPsec is likely preferred to bringing the router
offline.

Routers which support more than one private key, where one is
operational and the other(s) are soon-to-be-opertional, facilitate
revocation events because the operator can configure the router to make
a soon-to-be-operational key operational, request revocation of the
compromised key, and then make a new soon-to-be-operational key, all
hopefully without needing to take offline or reboot the router.  For
routers which support only one operational key, the operators should
create or install the new private key, and then request revocation of
the compromised private key.

spt