Re: [sidr] Interim Meeting Dates/Locations (Proposed)

Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org> Tue, 27 March 2012 20:22 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: Christopher Morrow <christopher.morrow@gmail.com>, "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>, "sidr-chairs@ietf.org" <sidr-chairs@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:22:08 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sidr] Interim Meeting Dates/Locations (Proposed)

On 27/03/12 12:43 AM, "Christopher Morrow" <christopher.morrow@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So, as stated in the meeting today, and in these slides:
>   <http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/83/slides/slides-83-sidr-8.pdf>
>
> There is a proposal to schedule 5 future Interim Face to Face
> (+virtual) meetings. The dates/locations are:
>
> Mon Apr 30 - after ARIN (IAD)
> Wed Jun 6 - NANOG (YVR)
> Fri Jun 29 - (BWI/IAD)
> Fri Jul 27 - prior to IETF84 (YVR)
> Sun Sep 23 - prior to RIPE (AMS)
>
> The hope is that:
>   1) WG folks interested in the forward progress of the WG work can
> attend (either physically or virtually)
>   2) WG folk interested see this number of meetings (about 1/month for
> the next 6 months) as appropriate
>   3) the overlap/adjacency with existing operations meetings will help
> travel problems AND bring in some ops focus/requirements as well to
> the work.
>
> Please have a discussion on the applicability of the meetings (number
> and attendance capabilities) and let's close that discussion out ~Mar
> 29, 2012 23:59 Paris Local Time (CEST?).

I feel like the Monday meeting was a bit of a lost opportunity. I appreciate
that the presenters made effort in presenting, and making slides and
presenting ideas. However I feel like the "RPKI over Bittorrent" really
needed focused discussion on what the problem is, and a resulting definition
of what RPKI needs in a requirements spec to address the problems that were
alluded (and BTW I am more than happy to help form that set of
requirements). Equally I appreciate the time taken in predicting the signing
impact on router CPU, but without some more concrete lab work I felt a
little lost as being able to take anything away from it at this stage.

So I'm not intending to enter into a discussion on those topics here (but
will commit to posting on both those items on list), but for me I think this
speaks to the applicability of the interim meetings, so I humbly ask the
chairs to keep the agenda tightly focused. The reason is that I have every
intention of attending these meetings virtually, and will further try to
make it in person (budget pending) - but for both of these to get most
value, I would appreciate that it syncs up with documents in play.

Cheers
Terry