[Sidrops] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-sidrops-rtr-keying-03: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Wed, 23 January 2019 03:26 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-sidrops-rtr-keying@ietf.org, Chris Morrow <morrowc@ops-netman.net>, sidrops-chairs@ietf.org, morrowc@ops-netman.net, sidrops@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 19:26:22 -0800
Subject: [Sidrops] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-sidrops-rtr-keying-03: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sidrops-rtr-keying-03: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidrops-rtr-keying/

COMMENT:

- General: The document says it's intended as BCP, but the data tracker says
"Proposed Standard". Was this last called with the correct status?  (I agree
with BCP, by the way.)

- I share Benjamin's concern about the idea of moving private keys between
routers as a "need" vs "something people do".

§5.2.1: "The router should inform the operator
whether or not the signature validates to a trust anchor; this
notification mechanism is out of scope."

Should that be normative?

§9.3: The second paragraph is a single convoluted sentence. Can it be broken
into simpler sentences?

§10:

- "This document defines no protocols. So, in some sense, it introduces
no new security considerations."

I think practices can absolutely come with security considerations. For
example, the practice of moving private keys between routers.

- "Private key protection in transit": Is there no expectations that
transmitted private keys would have object-level encryption?

§A: I'm curious why this is not part of the main-body security considerations?