Subject: [Sidrops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidrops-avoid-rpki-state-in-bgp-12.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2026 07:44:21 -0700
List-Id: A list for the SIDR Operations WG <sidrops.ietf.org>

Internet-Draft draft-ietf-sidrops-avoid-rpki-state-in-bgp-12.txt is now
available. It is a work item of the SIDR Operations (SIDROPS) WG of the IETF.

   Title:   Guidance to Avoid Carrying RPKI Validation States in BGP Path Attributes
   Authors: Job Snijders
            Tobias Fiebig
            Massimiliano Stucchi
   Name:    draft-ietf-sidrops-avoid-rpki-state-in-bgp-12.txt
   Pages:   15
   Dates:   2026-06-29

Abstract:

   This document provides guidance to avoid carrying Resource Public Key
   Infrastructure (RPKI) derived validation states in Border Gateway
   Protocol (BGP) Path Attributes whose change triggers a BGP UPDATE
   being sent across external BGP (EBGP) sessions.  Annotating routes
   with BGP Path Attributes carried across EBGP sessions signaling
   validation states may cause needless flooding of BGP UPDATE messages
   through the global Internet routing system, for example when Route
   Origin Authorizations (ROAs) are issued, or are revoked, or when
   RPKI-To-Router sessions are terminated.

   Operators should ensure RPKI-derived validation states are not
   signaled in BGP Path Attributes whose change triggers a BGP UPDATE
   being sent across EBGP sessions.  Specifically, operators should not
   associate Prefix Origin Validation state with BGP routes using any
   form of BGP Communities carried across EBGP session.

The IETF datatracker status page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidrops-avoid-rpki-state-in-bgp/

There is also an HTMLized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-sidrops-avoid-rpki-state-in-bgp-12

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-ietf-sidrops-avoid-rpki-state-in-bgp-12

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at:
rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts