[Sidrops] Éric Vyncke's Yes on draft-ietf-sidrops-rpkimaxlen-12: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 08 August 2022 09:39 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-sidrops-rpkimaxlen@ietf.org, sidrops-chairs@ietf.org, sidrops@ietf.org, morrowc@ops-netman.net, morrowc@ops-netman.net
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 02:39:23 -0700
Subject: [Sidrops] Éric Vyncke's Yes on draft-ietf-sidrops-rpkimaxlen-12: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sidrops-rpkimaxlen-12: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidrops-rpkimaxlen/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-sidrops-rpkimaxlen-12
CC @evyncke

Thank you for the work put into this document. It is clear, detailed, with
several explanations.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education *especially* for one about the
use of IPv4-only RFC 1918).

Special thanks to Chris Morrow for the shepherd's detailed write-up including
the WG consensus, even if I would have appreciated the justification of the
intended status.

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

## COMMENTS

### Abstract

Comment to be ignored, it is only to signal that this is smart:
```
   ... context of destination-based Remotely Triggered
   Discard Route (RTDR) (elsewhere referred to as "Remotely Triggered
   Black Hole") ...
```
Only regret is that the acronym does not match the RTBH, which is so well
known. Again, this comment to be ignored.

### Section 1, freshness of the I-D

`measurements taken in June 2017`, it is 5 years ago. Is the situation still
identical ? or has there been some progress ?

### Section 1, reference to detailed explanations

As section 3 provides a description of the hijack attack, it would be nice to
put a forward internal reference to it in section 1 (after the external
reference).

### Use of IPv4-only RFC 1918

Rather than using RFC 1918 network prefixes instead of the documentation ones,
why not using the IPv6 documentation prefix ? After all, we are in 2022 ;-)
BTW, I will really appreciate a reply on this (was about to raise a DISCUSS to
ensure getting an explanation).

## Notes

This review is in the ["IETF Comments" Markdown format][ICMF], You can use the
[`ietf-comments` tool][ICT] to automatically convert this review into
individual GitHub issues.

[ICMF]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments/blob/main/format.md
[ICT]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments