Re: [Sidrops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidrops-signed-tal-05.txt

Tim Bruijnzeels <tim@nlnetlabs.nl> Wed, 04 March 2020 08:56 UTC

From: Tim Bruijnzeels <tim@nlnetlabs.nl>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 09:55:42 +0100
Cc: Christopher Morrow <christopher.morrow@gmail.com>, SIDR Operations WG <sidrops@ietf.org>, i-d-announce@ietf.org
To: George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.org>
Subject: Re: [Sidrops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidrops-signed-tal-05.txt

Hi,

I believe that we should discuss the concerns raised by Rob. Whether that is in the context of a working group last call or not.. I don't really mind the process.

What is indeed important is that we ask ourselves what issue this draft solves, and what complexity, and which risks are introduced. We should ask the same questions about alternative paths and/or doing nothing.

The issue that motivated me to invest time in this, is that without automation you will lose RPs when there is a change in the TAL. People will just not update until they find that suddenly a TA they had configured disappears - and they may not notice this for a while. In the context of ROV the landing is relatively soft: things become 'not found', but it is a landing nonetheless.

I saw Ben Cox present a data plane analysis at the nlnog day 2018, and again 2019. He found that there is a significant number of people who do not enable the ARIN Tal, presumable simply because it could not be included. See slide 44 (!) of this presentation:
https://nlnog.net/static/nlnogday2018/8_Measuring_RPKI_ben_NLNOG_2018.pdf

Regarding the RPA, I am afraid that it too will be problematic w.r.t. renewals. Nowadays one can ship the actual file, but users still need to take action to accept. It is not clear to me whether this implies that they can accept an updated TAL without interacting (beyond updating the software).

In any event the difference in drops between RIPE invalids and ARIN invalids in that presentation exemplify how many users would be unaware of an issue. And could be late updating.

We could, of course, accept all of the above. We could decide that the complexity and other risks introduced by this draft are simply not worth it. Do not get me wrong, I co-authored, but I have no fatherly feelings that stop me from having the discussion.

I expressed earlier that I believe that this document can be simplified if we limit the amount of simultaneous keys to two. It could be simplified even further if we only allowed forward rolls. Whether that is the right choice depends on what we are trying to solve.

With regards to risks introduced. It is undeniably true that simply by having two keys, only one of them needs to be subverted to end up in a bad place. The attack surface is increased. However, most TA operators use HSMs and M/N processes in signing, which in my mind provide enough protection against key theft, and key abuse. So it was a deliberate choice that this draft does not even try to solve those issues, and accepts that it is itself vulnerable to such issues.

The main motivation here is forward rolls from one HSM vendor to another. The secondary motivation is to protect against key loss (card set lost, broken HSM, people no longer with us). The latter is why the complexity regarding aborting a roll to key 'b' and introducing a new key 'c' was introduced. What if you plan to go to 'b' but you lost access to it.

On the whole I am still in favour of the automation, but I welcome a healthy discussion where pros and cons are weighed :)

Tim