Re: [sieve] Duplicate test

NED+mta-filters@mauve.mrochek.com Wed, 16 January 2013 03:22 UTC

From: NED+mta-filters@mauve.mrochek.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 19:10:13 -0800
To: Stephan Bosch <stephan@rename-it.nl>
Subject: Re: [sieve] Duplicate test

> Hi,

> A while back I built a non-standard Sieve extension for detecting
> duplicate message deliveries, e.g. as seen when people cross-post over
> multiple mailing lists. This functionality is very similar to what could
> be achieved with Procmail using formail -D. Someone requested this at
> some point and in a moment of boredom I built the initial
> implementation. Last year I extended it a bit and I made it more
> generic. I never intended for this to be standardized, but - now that I
> look at it again - I think this may yet be of some interest to other
> Sieve implementers as well.

> I make a habit of documenting my custom Sieve extensions in a familiar
> RFC-like manner:

> http://hg.rename-it.nl/dovecot-2.1-pigeonhole/raw-file/tip/doc/rfc/spec-bosch-sieve-duplicate.txt

> What do you think? Would you be interested in having functionality like
> this standardized? Should I submit this as a draft?

I think the underlying idea is excellent and deserves to be standardized in one
form or another. I also like the way the optional parameters make the test easy
to use in the default way, but provide the flexibility to test arbitrary string
parameters.

About the only thing that's missing is the ability to do things like count
occurances, and I'm pretty strongly inclined not to add that.

So yes, please submit this and let's work on getting it standardized.

				Ned