Subject: Re: draft-freed-sieve-in-xml status?
From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
To: Robert Burrell Donkin <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:05:01 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <ietf-mta-filters.imc.org>

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Ned Freed <[email-masked]> wrote:

> <snip>

> >> > But really, this entire discussion has gone very far afield. Like it or not,
> >> > Sieve is intended to be a language used to process email messages at or around
> >> > the time of final delivery.
> >> > The fact that it can be adapted for other uses may
> >> > be interesting to you but simply is not relevant in the context of the work
> >> > this group is chartered to do.
> >
> >> is this http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/sieve-charter.html the charter?
> >
> > Yes

> could anyone kindly point me to the sections which indicate that only
> mail servers of a particular class of architecture are in scope?

I've already done so in previous messages. It's the very first thing RFC 5228,
the Sieve base specification, says:

   This document describes a language for filtering email messages at
   time of final delivery.

Final delivery is a formal term used in many IETF email standards. It refers to
the point at which the message exists the SMTP transport infrastructure and
enters the message store.

As its charter makes clear, the current Sieve group is chartered to work on a
very specific set of Sieve extensions. There is nothing in there about
revisiting the scope of applicability of Sieve.

				Ned