Re: [Simple] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC4975 (4177)

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Thu, 13 November 2014 21:24 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 11:24:03 -1000
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
To: simple@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Simple] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC4975 (4177)

Hi Archie -

You'll find lots of cases where we don't specify what to do when the
peer violates the protocol.
(Not just in this document, but in RFCs in general). Trying to encompass
the entire scope of such violations is impossible,
and we rely on Postel's maxim instead.

Is there a particular point of interoperability failure where having
this as a requirement would help the protocol, or is it
(as I read it) just one of several ways that an implementation could do
something reasonable when the peer goes off the rails?

If it's the latter, I think we should mark this errata as invalid (not
that the point isn't good, but a new requirement in the document isn't
how to
express it).

RjS